In 1923, area residents purchased land situated at Baby Point Road and Baby Point Crescent from Robert Home Smith’s company, Humber River Real Estate, with the intent of forming a community club. As a condition of the sale, Home Smith stipulated that “the land shall not at any time … be used for any other purpose than that of a recreation ground.”
The Letters Patent signed on November 30, 1923, stated, “The object of the Club is to stimulate a community spirit and to encourage among its members such games and sports as lawn bowling, lawn tennis, skating etc., and provide facilities therefor in the vicinity of that district know as Baby Point and conduct such social features as the Board of Governors may from time to time deem advisable.”
The purchasers envisioned a beautiful building, similar to that depicted in the letter below, complete with a lounge, billiard room, refreshment room, and locker rooms.
Before the property could be developed and a clubhouse erected, funds needed to be raised. Below is a letter from then Club President, S.A. McFadden, dated May 12, 1927. A family membership fee was offered for $100 worth of stock and $25 per year.